Wednesday 28 October 2009

A Little Treat

"If only I could read" sighed Tiddy

I treated myself to a little something at the weekend , whilst visiting the bookstore Waterstones . It was an extra specially rare treat because it was completely F.R.E.E ! Those are always the best sort of treats for people who can be a bit cynical about "looking for the catch".
I read a review of the brand new tales of Winnie-the-Pooh in the Telegraph . It's an authorised , sympathetic sequel to the previous adventures of Pooh and all his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood , and I was enchanted , not the least by the introduction of a new female character ; Lottie the otter (which just happens to be one of my favourite creatures)

My son made a beeline for one of those tables mounded up with kids' hardback books and pleaded for Charlie Higson's new novel "The Enemy" . Glancing at it tetchily I noticed a Buy One Get One Free ( or BOGOF as we all know and love it :0) ) sticker on the cover - then joy of joys amongst the others was the new Pooh book too (ooooh seems even I can emulate A.A Milne !!) so with a quick flick through and no further ado .... I rushed off to the cash desk bearing my prize!

I have a special little soft spot for cuddly Winnie-the-Pooh who , having first been published in 1926 , is around the same age as my father . I have a distinct memory of looking through a paperback edition when I was only 3 and wishing I could decipher all that unintelligible code between the pages because I was certain there was a wonderful story in there which was being denied to me !
Later on another of A.A.Milne's works ; "When We Were Very Young", containing over 40 poems, was my favourite introduction to the lilting sound of words in verse - despite the fact it was first published in 1924 and harked back to a long gone era of Nannies and nursery teas . In fact I delighted in the utter charm of it ! As far as I can remember bears featured in several places .... particularly when little children stepped on the "lines" between paving stones so materialising them even in the middle of London!

I mean to enjoy my new book as soon as possible - maybe cosied up in the evening with a little dog on my lap , and perhaps a "little smackerel of something" to keep me going .... Tiddly Pom ....

T.T.F.N , Ruth XX

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Now that is a treat. My daughter loved the poems best of all, short attention span! Funny enough The Book people just emailed with free postage so I fancy a few treats for christmas myself, I'll be good and save them!

Unknown said...

And "When we are six" was a favourite of mine too, I'll have to go and check out our book shops now!

Bearly Sane said...

Nothing like curling up with a good Pooh book and CHOCOLATE! Hope you enjoy your journey into the Hundred Acre Wood.
Hugs,
Sandi

Ruth said...

I'm so glad we all love books like this :0) It wouldn't "do" to get too old-and-sensible would it ? LOL
I think I'm going to track down When We Were Very Young , Susie , as I now seem to need a fix of those poems again :0)

Huggies ,
Ruth

Elanor Clare Andrews said...

Just to let you know you have an award waiting for you at my blog!! :)

Elanor