Tuesday 20 April 2010

Where It All Started!


The last time I went "home" to my parents' I came across my really old "My Learn To Sew Book" (published by Hamlyn I think) which I was given around the age of 8 or 9. Did any of you have this book? Peeking through the time-worn pages proved to be a bit like stepping in to a time loop ; hurtling me back to an age when brown and orange paisley was tres chic, and little girls were even encouraged to get to grips with dangerous stuff like bodkins , sewing machines and - perish the thought- seam rippers!
The projects are so charming. I remember that most were quite beyond my capabilities at the time , but the crucial point is I aspired to that level of competence!



It brought back to me the whole flavour of my childhood ; being creative , making things for yourself (not just buying them!) treasuring a host of fabric and yarn snippets ,and actually feeling proud of your achievements.
Some years later, at about 15 years old , I made a fairly simple felt pin cushion in the shape of a flower , with decorative stitching and pearl beads at the centre. It's nothing special ..... yet I still use it to this day 30+ dusty years on - it's just my pincushion; part of my everyday sewing paraphernalia. But I couldn't bear to part with it!

Let's see just one more project-

I wish I'd made one of these!



TaTa For Now ,

Ruth XX

2 comments:

Bearly Sane said...

Never had this book, but many, many others and I understand what you mean about making things...I can hardly remember a time when I didn't sew or paint. But I guess it's not for everyone though.

Hey it's never too late Ruth, you could always make yourself a little kitty now.

Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

Ruth said...

If I had the time Sandi I think I would! Apart from the really dated clothes the pieces are just so sweet - ahhh the 70's - innocent times eh?

Hugs , Ruth xx