Friday 5 March 2010

Can It Be Spring Now?


It really did feel like Spring in the last couple of days ; it was so sunny and warm behind the glass of my conservatory that I had to open the door to cool down yesterday! It's been such a relief to get away from all that bitterly cold dreariness - and a joy to actually hear my little Goldfinch visitors singing their tinkling songs just a few feet away from me. I wonder what it is about the sunshine which is so motivational? Although I have plenty of ongoing projects to keep me busy for the next 2 months (at least !) my brain keeps summoning up inspiration for all sorts of bears and themes, so that I have to keep jotting things down in my notebook in case they disappear never to return! I have a whole series of bears planned .... just need the time to create them! Hopefully I can introduce a few of them at June's Teddy Bear Artist Event in Stratford.

In fact, Spring motivation has even led me to hop on to Ashley's brand new exercise bike which was bought to rehabilitate his newly improved knee ligament. I am fairly rubbish on it (no stamina) and it is a fairly boring piece of equipment (just black and white and uncomfortable) but.... there's no escaping the fact that bear making is sedentary and seems to be encouraging in me a little *polite cough* "softness" , or "cuddlieness" as my father would say.....

Anyway , back to the Spring ; here's an enchanting poem to herald its approach - hopefully a lot sooner than April.

A Child of Spring by Ellen Robena Field

I know a little maiden,
She is very fair and sweet,
As she trips among the grasses
That kiss her dainty feet;
Her arms are full of flowers,
The snow-drops, pure and white,
Timid blue-eyed violets,
And daffodillies bright.

She loves dear Mother Nature,
And wanders by her side;
She beckons to the birdlings
That flock from far and wide.
She wakes the baby brooklets,
Soft breezes hear her call;
She tells the little children
The sweetest tales of all.

Her brow is sometimes clouded,
And she sighs with gentle grace,
Till the sunbeams, daring lovers,
Kiss the teardrops from her face.
Well we know this dainty maiden,
For April is her name;
And we welcome her with gladness,
As the springtime comes again.



T.T.F.N , Ruth XX

(Above is "Tommy" ; 1.6" tall , who likes to be planted in his own little flower pot!)

8 comments:

Cheryl @ Bingle Bears said...

What a lovely post, Ruth. I wish it were a bit more spring-like here, but I relish reading others experience of good weather. It makes me realize that soon, hopefully, all of these mounds of snow will melt.
By the way, Tommy is absolutely adorable!
Heaps of Hugs,
Cheryl

Valerie said...

All your bears are lovely, Ruth. I love them all. :)

Tina said...

I so wish for spring too - have had enough of the snow everywhere. We have has a little peak of the sun the last couple of days too.

Your little Tommy is so cute with his own flower pot Ruth

Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
many hugs, Tina

btw: I WILL be at Hugglets in September - yeaahhh :D

Bearly Sane said...

Tommy is so sweet Ruth, perfect addition for spring (although it's Autumn downunder) but I would love him all year round if he were mine.

Love the poem too!

Warmest hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

Ruth said...

Looks like 2 of you ladies still have wintery snow then - brrrrr!
Val and Sandi I'm sure that your weather is much warmer! :0)
Lovely of you all to drop by (Hugs)

See you in Sept' Tina - HOORAY !!!!

Hugs to you all - Ruth xx

MaryAnn Wills said...

What an enjoyable visit I have had reading your beautiful post and visiting with your lovely bears - Tommy is so sweet - hugs, MaryAnn

Ruth said...

Hugs back for you MaryAnn - thank you so much for stopping by. :0)

The Blackwood Cottage said...

I am new to blogging and your blog is the first to blow me away. In a good way of course.
I took a peek to see the bears but....I love the photos and the commentary. Your "about me" was a lot "like me". I love history, touring historical homes, watching Sense & Sensiblity and then listening to Weezer! People of this world are more alike than unlike. I don't want to forget...love the bears too!